Job Status: Full time, year round
Wage commensurate with experience
At the Sea to Sky Gondola, we are good to each other. We work hard to make sure both our team members and our guest have a great experience here. Joining our team, means getting to know guests from around the world while working alongside other outdoor enthusiasts, in a beautiful setting.
Reporting to the Food and Beverage Director and Executive Chef, the Catering Chef is a key role in the operation. They train, supervise and work with all cooks (Demi Chef, Sous Chef, Line Cooks, Prep Cooks, Dishwashers), specifically those working in the Catering and Production event prep in order to prepare, cook and present food according to Sea to Sky Gondola’s standard recipes.
They train Line Cooks to engage with the guests and when serving events and manning action stations. The Catering Chef processes requisitions for supplies and ensures proper receiving, storage (including temperature setting) and rotation of food products so as to comply with health department regulations. Adhere to control procedures for cost and quality.
- Do you enjoy a fast paced work environment?
- Are you an engaging leader who enjoys creating and maintaining a strong team?
- Do you consider yourself passionate about creating an outstanding guest experience?
If so keep reading to find out more about the role….
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Train, supervise, coach and conduct performance management as required for team members for the efficient operation of the Summit Lodge Food Services
- Works closely with the Senior Sales and Services Manager, Catering Assistant Manager and event planners to prepare a variety of food for a variety of functions and events as per client requirements and specifications
- Inspect method of food preparation and cooking in all areas
- Ongoing inspection portion control in all areas
- Develop catering menus, preparing delicious food in a timely manner, minimizing raw material and food wastage, controlling food costs and presenting food attractively
- Develop recipes as required and updating station guides
- Schedule team members, exercise labor controls
- Ensure that all kitchen equipment is maintained and in a sanitary condition and that adequate supplies of operating equipment are always available
- Manage plate presentation for consistency and continually review and update when necessary
- Seek out and share special event information with daily teams and guests
- Support the events process in the Summit Lodge in coordination with Group Sales and Events
- Ensure compliance with Foodsafe through temperature checks and stock rotation
- Ensure par stock levels are maintained by calculating inventory, ordering and retrieving supplies and stocking shelves
- Promote our culture of sustainability through adherence to our recycling & composting procedures
- Develop and implement cost saving and profit enhancing measures
- Conduct daily and regular meetings with the team
- Attend meetings adn tastings as required
- Ensure compliance with Sea to Sky Gondola Occupational Health and Safety Program and the WorkSafeBC regulations
- All other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a Chef or Kitchen Manager in a high-volume F&B environment
- Previous experience executing high level catered events preferred
- Must be able to build and maintain credibility and relationships with guests and vendors (internal and external) and work collaboratively in a team
- Strong organization and planning skills
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Publisher)
- Proven ability in managing time is critical; must be able to plan and execute effectively and efficiently
- Proven track record as a hands-on leader with great communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Able to remain calm under stressful situations
- Knowledge of food service techniques and cost controls
- Passion for people and the outdoors
- Serving it Right Certificate
- FoodSafe Level 1
- Red Seal certification is an asset
- Completion of Culinary Degree or Arts Program is preferred
- Must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 8 hours in length.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Have a high attention to detail and can multitask under pressure to meet deadlines
- Proven ability to lead, mentor, coach and train a team
- Mature, friendly and well-groomed
Staff Accommodation may be available, with shared and single rooms, in newly constructed houses and apartments. Please inquire about availability.