Update from Sea to Sky Gondola
08 May, 2020
We hope you have been staying healthy and safe and we cannot wait to welcome you back soon. Like all of you, we have been closely monitoring the day to day progress in the fight against this pandemic globally, regionally and right here at home.
With this weeks launch of BC’s RESTART PLAN we are working with Vancouver Coastal Health, the District of Squamish, industry associations and our many partners here in Squamish to understand how and when to re-open.
We hope that we have proven ourselves to be a responsible team over the past 6 years and we have been working very hard to ensure that, when we do re-open, you will find that we have the best practices in place to keep you and our team safe from the transmission of the Covid-19 virus. The simple truth is we all have to continue to work together in this new reality to keep transmission at a minimum.
Things are being updated daily but here are some of the changes that you will likely see when we re-open:
- Overall capacity at the gondola will be reduced to allow for physical distancing precautions throughout the operation. This will be governed at the entrance so, if our reduced parking capacity is reached, you may be asked to come at a later time or another day.
- Gondola cabins will be loaded by groups arriving together in the same vehicle.
- We will only be loading every second gondola cabin to allow for each one to be fully sanitized.
- We will be offering very simple grab and go food service at Basecamp and at the Summit in the Backyard at first.
- The Summit Lodge will be closed except for washrooms.
- Spaced seating will be offered on the Summit Lodge deck and in the Backyard.
- The suspension bridge will become one-way starting from the Spirit Trail.
- There will be lots of hand sanitizing stations and signage to remind everyone of good physical distancing standards.
Lastly, we will really miss shaking your hand and sharing cabins with you for awhile. But, we are very confident that with these measures and others we can help set a standard for safe operations while giving you access to connect with nature.
We will be in touch soon with our re-opening date. In the meantime, we hope you will join us from a distance on May 15 for our first-ever live-streamed Hairfarmers concert from the summit.
- The Sea to Sky Gondola Team